Thursday, May 5
UPDATE: Trump responds to Ryan decision to withhold support for now
WASHINGTON (AP) — Donald Trump says he's "not ready to support" House Speaker Paul Ryan's agenda after the country's top elected GOP official said he's not ready to back Trump as the party's presidential nominee.
In a statement released by his campaign, Trump says, "Perhaps in the future we can work together and come to an agreement about what is best for the American people."
Trump says Americans have been "been treated so badly for so long that it is about time for politicians to put them first!"
Ryan said on CNN earlier Thursday that he's "just not ready" to support Trump's candidacy, even though the billionaire businessman is the presumptive GOP nominee.
The statement from the popular Ryan is further evidence of how much resistance remains inside the party to Trump's candidacy.
Romney not going to GOP convention
WASHINGTON (AP) — Don't expect to see Mitt Romney at the Republican Party's national convention this summer.
An aide to the GOP's 2012 presidential nominee confirms that Romney isn't planning to attend the convention where Donald Trump is expected to become the Republican Party's 2016 presidential nominee. The aide spoke on the condition of anonymity to share internal discussions.
Romney has been an aggressive critic of Trump. The former Massachusetts governor vowed earlier in the year that he'd rather write someone in than vote for Trump in the general election.
Trump became the GOP's presumptive nominee this week after both of his remaining rivals dropped out of the race.
AP Source: Clinton aide interviewed in email investigation
WASHINGTON (AP) — A person familiar with the investigation into Hillary Clinton's private email server says the FBI has interviewed top aide Huma Abedin (HOO'-muh AB'-uh-deen).
The person insisted on anonymity Thursday to discuss an ongoing investigation.
The FBI and Justice Department have been investigating the potential mishandling of sensitive information that passed through the email server Clinton used as secretary of state.
Abedin was one of Clinton's closest aides, serving as deputy chief of staff. It was not immediately clear whether other aides have been interviewed.
A Justice Department spokeswoman declined to comment, and a spokesman for the FBI did not return messages seeking comment.
Freedom from religion group sues House for barring atheist
MADISON, Wis. (AP) — A Wisconsin group that advocates for separation of church and state is suing Congress for barring its co-president from giving an opening invocation before the U.S. House.
The lawsuit was filed Thursday, the National Day of Prayer. It alleges that House Chaplain Patrick Conroy rejected an application from Dan Barker, co-president of the Madison-based Freedom From Religion Foundation, to deliver a secular guest invocation.
Barker was sponsored by Democratic Rep. Mark Pocan of Wisconsin. The foundation says Conroy denied the request in January, saying Barker, who is an atheist, wasn't a true "minister of the gospel."
The complaint says Conroy is violating Barker's constitutional rights.
A spokesman for the House speaker's office didn't immediately reply to an email seeking comment.
The lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court in Washington.
Intense effort to close Alberta wildfire
FORT MCMURRAY, Alberta (AP) — Despite the efforts of more than 1,100 firefighters and a squadron of helicopters and air tankers, a raging Canadian wildfire in the province of Alberta has grown to more than 210,000 acres.
More than 80,000 people have left the city of Fort McMurray. And officials would like to move south about 25,000 evacuees who had previously fled north.
Nearly 50 wildfires are burning and seven are considered out of control. Firefighting efforts are being hampered by gusting winds. The flames are expected to move away from Fort McMurray, which has already lost entire neighborhoods.
The communities of Anzac, Gregoire Lake Estates and Fort McMurray First Nation, an aboriginal reservation, were evacuated overnight after the wildfires moved south.
A state of emergency remains in effect.
Prosecutor in Chicago police case seeks recusal
CHICAGO (AP) — Cook County's embattled state's attorney has asked to recuse her office from prosecuting a case involving a white Chicago police officer who shot a black teenager 16 times.
If the judge approves, it would clear the way for the appointment of a special prosecutor, which activists and civil rights attorneys have demanded. Cook County Circuit Judge Vincent Gaughan said Thursday that announce his decision about the request June 2.
Outgoing State's Attorney Anita Alvarez has faced months of criticism over her handling of the case and why it took more than a year to bring charges.
Officer Jason Van Dyke is charged with first-degree murder in the 2014 killing of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald. The release in November of video contradicted police accounts of the shooting and set off protests.
Alvarez has defended her handling of the case.
Official: 1 dead, 1 hurt in shooting at suburban DC school
BELTSVILLE, Md. (AP) — An official says one person has been killed and another wounded in a shooting at a high school in suburban Washington.
The Prince George's County Fire and EMS Department says the shooting took place Thursday at High Point High School in Beltsville.
Fire department spokesman Mark Brady says the wounded person suffered injuries that are not believed to be life threatening.
He provided the information in a recording on his voicemail and referred questions to county police.
On their official Twitter feed, police say they are checking reports of a shooting at the school. Police say they are working to confirm information about what has happened.
Man, woman dead, 2 kids shot outside Vegas-area day care
NORTH LAS VEGAS, Nev. (AP) — Authorities say a domestic-related shooting in front of a suburban Las Vegas day care center left a man and woman dead and two young children hospitalized with gunshot wounds.
North Las Vegas police spokeswoman Ann Cavaricci (kah-vah-REE'-chee) says a 3-year-old girl and 4-year-old boy were shot, but their injuries weren't life-threatening. They're hospitalized in stable condition.
The shooting happened around 6:10 a.m. Thursday in the front parking lot of the Kids Campus Learning Center. Police say employees were at the center as it opened, but no other children were around. No one else was hurt.
Police say the incident is domestic-related, and no suspects are being sought.
It's not clear if the children attended the day care, which closed for the day.
The center declined to comment.
OBAMA-CINCO DE MAYO
Obama hosts final Cinco de Mayo reception at White House
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama's final Cinco de Mayo reception at the White House seemed more a celebration of him than of the holiday.
Obama entered the East Room to chants of "Four more years." He responded that the Constitution doesn't allow it and neither would his wife, Michelle.
As he left the room someone shouted, "We miss you already."
Obama talked about rising high school and college graduation rates for Latinos and the 700,000 so-called DREAMers — immigrants who were brought into the country illegally as children — he says have benefited from his policies.
He says his inability to overhaul immigration law is "one of the most frustrating aspects of my presidency."
Cinco de Mayo commemorates the Mexican Army's victory over French forces at Puebla on May 5, 1862
PEOPLE-ARSENIO HALL-SINEAD O'CONNOR
Arsenio Hall sues Sinead O'Connor for libel over Prince post
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Arsenio Hall is suing Sinead O'Connor over a Facebook post in which the singer accused him of furnishing Prince with drugs.
The comedian's libel lawsuit filed Thursday in Los Angeles Superior Court calls O'Connor's accusations fabricated lies. The lawsuit states O'Connor, who scored a hit in 1990 with her rendition of Prince's "Nothing Compares 2 U," barely knew the superstar and despised him.
O'Connor wrote a Facebook post Monday that stated investigators looking into the supplier of drugs used by Prince should question Hall. She also accused him of drugging her.
O'Conner's agent did not immediately return an email message seeking comment.
The lawsuit seeks more than $5 million in damages but any award would be decided by a jury. The case was first reported by celebrity website TMZ.