Thursday, January 16
WALKERTON, Ind. (AP) — A northern Indiana Catholic diocese says a priest has resigned and been removed from ministry work after a credible allegation of sexual abuse of a minor 44 years ago.
The Fort Wayne-South Bend Diocese says 77-year-old Rev. James Seculoff had been pastor at St. Patrick Parish in Walkerton, about 20 miles south of South Bend.
Diocese spokesman Sean McBride tells the South Bend Tribune the alleged abuse happened within the diocese but that officials weren't releasing specifics.
Bishop Kevin Rhoades wrote to St. Patrick parishioners that Seculoff voluntarily resigned and officially retired.
McBride tells The Journal Gazette that Rhoades has given instructions to priests in other parishes where Seculoff had served since being ordained in 1962.
No phone number is listed in Seculoff's name to reach him for comment.